By Tom Davidson
Strategy #5 for Motivating and Mobilizing the Next Generation
Match Up with Mentors – Millennials grew up with parents as their strongest advocates, showing them the ropes, and directly helping them succeed. Mentoring programs meet Gen-Y needs for support and the motivations of Boomers, who want to make a difference and leave a legacy.
1. Develop a pool of volunteer mentors that mentees can call upon periodically
2. Provide training to the pool of mentors
3. Develop a formal matching process
4. Put structures in place to enable informal mentoring
5. Provide opportunities for reverse mentoring